1/7 Photos of Shlomo's Kosher Sour Pickles/Tomatoes by Sy
336 hrs 30 mins
There is nothing quite like a "Mouth Watering" Kosher New York City Sour Pickle or Sour Tomato from a wooden barrel. I remember as a teenager in "The Bronx" biking over to the local indoor but "open" food market, with many vendors providing produce. I would then go over to the "Pickle Man" and watch him put his hand into the wooden barrel and pull out a "Big One", for only 5 Cents!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 -20 kirby cucumbers, Wash and scrub to remove dirt (No waxed cucumbers, about 3 lbs)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt or 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, Remove cloves (Use Spice Bouquet 'Pickling Spices' if available)
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, Skin removed and crushed
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon alum (optional)
- 1KOSHER SOUR PICKLES RECIPE-.
- 2Cut 1/16 inch off the blossom end. Discard any cucumbers that are bruised or damaged.
- 3In a 3 1/2 quart glass jar add the Kirby Cucumbers standing them upright (Turning the jar on its side will help).
- 4Put all the spices into a large bowl (Alum Optional), add some water and mix. Then pour this mixture into the jar, top off with water. Adding a piece of rye bread is also optional.
- 5Place a small item (A piece of plastic, wood, etc.) on top to keep the Kirby Cucumbers down and under the water/brine.
- 6Close jar and turn upside down to mix all the ingredients --.
- 7Next open jar, put "plastic wrap" on the top (Use a rubber band to keep in place); Then using a kitchen knife punch many holes in the "plastic wrap" in order to let some of the brine gases out.
- 8Let the Kirby cucumbers stand 2-3 weeks (in a "COOL" location) depending on how fast they cure in the brine; From time-to-time you can remove any scum on the top, add a little salted water to top off -- and shake the mixture. Then place in the refrigerator!
- 9Note: For half sour pickles, let it pickle for about 1 week -- and then place in the refrigerator!
- 10KOSHER SOUR TOMATOES RECIPE-.
- 11Use the same recipe as outlined above for "Kosher Sour Pickles". However, use about 10-12 green tomatoes (about 3 lbs) in place of the kirby cucumbers. Also, sour tomatoes need a little more salt then kirby pickles -- so add to taste.
- 12Take off the tomato stems. As an option cut away the brown area and leave a small hole which will allow the brine to penetrate into the tomatoes (you can also cut the tomatoes in half).
- 13Let stand 2-3 weeks depending on how fast the tomatoes cure in the brine. Then place in the refrigerator!
- 14NOTE: If you can find green "Plum Tomatoes" you might want to try them as well!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shlomo's Kosher Sour Pickles/Tomatoes by Sy
Serving Size: 1 (2184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 26.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4356.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: