Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was looking for a recipe for the soup I had in my brain, but I couldn't find one. Here's what I came up with last night, and it's EXACTLY what I had in mind. Absolutely delicious! It made a lovely meal with some roast chicken last night, but it would also make a good vegetarian meal by itself. Spiced prune bars for dessert made the evening complete.
- 1 delicata squash or 1⁄2 small butternut squash
- 12 -16 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 quart boiling water
- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced in thin rings
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 3 quarts chicken stock or 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 4 -5 large mustard greens, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- Pour the stock into a large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, soak the mushrooms in the boiling water for about 1/2 an hour.
- While that's going, peel and seed the sqaush, then cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to the boiling stock and lower the heat to simmer.
- Once the mushrooms are tender, squeeze out their excess liquid and add the mushroom liquid to the soup.
- Cut out the woody stems of the mushrooms and then slice the mushrooms into long strips. Add the mushrooms to the soup.
- Add the sliced onions, chopped garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and rosemary to the pot and let simmer until the squash is tender and the flavor has come together.
- When ready to serve, add the chopped greens and allow them to just wilt and turn bright green in the soup. Ladle into bowls and serve, adding tabasco to taste as necessary.
- For vegan, use vegetable stock.
This was just delightful! The flavors were very refreshing and nice. Make sure you serve something with it, as kitchengrrl did. I ended up adding 3 cans of soy beans to make it a little more "stick to the ribs". My DH thought that an egg or spring roll would have been great to have with the soup as he wouldn't let me add beans to his because he didn't want to spoil the clean flavor. Thanks for posting.