magpie diner's Note:
This started off being an idea for a tofu shish kebab. Ended up more of a fusion ... a really tasty fusion! Sharp tang of lime with some sweet curry. Depending on your curry powder you may want to add extra heat with chili powder. You could also lace in some mushrooms, peppers and/or eggplant pretty nicely. Prep time does not include marinating time which should ideally be overnight or more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (350 g) packages firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (indian curry powder)
- 1 shallot
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use evap cane juice or organic sugar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos (or sub soy)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or any light oil such as canola)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste) (optional)
- 1Drain the tofu and cut it into large cubes Press out some of the excess water by patting it dry or squeezing out by placing a plate on top of the tofu with something heavy on top. I use a clean tea towel and lightly press down.
- 2Mix everything else together in a mini blender or food processor. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- 3Marinate the tofu in the mixture for at least a few hours, overnight is best.
- 4If you're using bamboo skewers soak them for 30 minutes to prevent burning on the grill. Thread the tofu onto skewers.
- 5Grill on medium heat, getting some nice grill marks on each side -- brushing with the excess 4marinade as you go. 3-4 minutes per side is usually enough.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shish'd Tofu (Grilled Marinated Tofu - Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos