Recipe by Camel_Cracker
This is my sister-in-law's recipe for Chicken Shish-tawuk ( I would love to know the correct spelling for this.
Top Review by breezermom
I enjoyed the different spices on this. I grilled mine on the grill, and loved the smokey taste it added. But next time I will bake as directed so that I can make use of the sauce. Made for PAC Spring 20089.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 lemons
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (I use 7 Spice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Season-All salt
- bamboo skewer, soaked in water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken breasts with cool water, then cut them into equal sized cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over chicken cubes and coat them with the flour and a pinch of salt. Cut two lemons and put the pieces in the bowl with the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- During that 15 minutes, in a mixing bowl, mix tomato paste, yogurt, mustard, garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, 7 spice/allspice, season-all and the juice of 1/2 lemon together.
- Rinse flour and lemon mixture off of the chicken cubes and discard the lemons.
- Coat the chicken with the spice mixture, cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- I like to eat this meal with fattoush salad and baba ghannouj, and use the marinating time to prepare those things.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry the chicken cubes until they are almost completely cooked. Allow them to cool to the touch.
- When they have cooled, put about 6 cubes on each skewer.
- Mix the remaining sauce with 3T of water in the bottom of a Pyrex baking dish and balance the chicken skewers over the top.
- Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve with pita bread and/or rice.