Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
A luscious Lebanese chicken pita sandwich much like a gyro but not so overpowering. The chicken is best when grilled but can be done in the oven; the whole thing is wrapped up in a yummy pita (the soft, flat kind, not pocket bread) with garlic-cucumber sauce plus lettuce and tomatoes.
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 lb white meat chicken, cubed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper
- 4 pita breads (the soft flat kind, not pocket bread)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- sliced red onion
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken cubes, white wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, thyme and garlic together overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, prepare a grill or preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Thread chicken cubes onto the prepared skewers, season to taste with salt and grill or bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, until there is no pink inside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic-cucumber sauce by combining the diced cucumber, yogurt, garlic and salt and pepper.
- To serve, remove chicken from skewers. Spread pita breads with the garlic-cucumber sauce and top with lettuce, onion, tomato and the chicken cubes. Fold up and serve immediately.