Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
Great for cooking outdoors when weather permits.
Make and share this Shish Taouk (Chicken Kabobs) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon baharat, spice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 -15 bamboo skewers, soaked
For toum sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Soak bamboo skewers, if using, for about an hour (soak extra and freeze any unused ones for later).
- Stir together ingredients and allow chicken to marinate in it for at least an hour, preferably more.
- Skewer chicken.
- Cook skewers on the grill or under the broiler until cooked through (time will vary with size of chunks).
- To make toum sauce, grind the garlic with the salt in a mortar until it is pasty.
- Mix in the lemon and mayonnaise, and very slowly add oil, whisking as you go.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sauce with kabobs.
5 stars. DH and DD said this is good. Ditto to Katanashrp authentic and flavourful. I made ours on the BBQ. This recipe is a gem that should receive more reviews. I had some trouble with the garlic sauce becoming thickening but the taste was yummy!! I used extra virgin olive oil, Balkan yogurt, sea salt, to taste, freshly ground black pepper, to taste, canola oil to be soy free, Hellman's olive oil mayonnaise to be soy free, plus the rest of the ingredients. I would make this again and try the toum sauce again too it was that tasty.
Very authentic and flavorful. The only change I would make is to reduce the oil by half in the Toum part of the recipe. Otherwise, it was perfect. Thank you.