Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Perfect for new cooks, shirred eggs are baked in butter in a small dish until just barely set. Easily garnished. From the Fanny Farmer cookbook posted in response to a recipe request
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use baking dishes that accommodate no more than two eggs, such as au gratin dishes Put the butter in the dish and place in the oven until the butter melts.
- Swirl to coat the bottom and sides.
- Crack the eggs and put them in the dish; cover snugly with foil.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Uncover and season to taste.
I cooked this in ramekins which worked well. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The eggs baked to a barely softboiled egg consistency. Ie if you like fully cooked eggwhite, this is not for you. I do so it was not a problem. Good if you feel like boiled eggs but you are not sure how fresh your eggs are and really need to break them open to be doubly sure.