Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I make this easy and inexpensive dish, no one leaves hungry and everyone loves it kids too.
- 1 -2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free refried beans, with chilies
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chunky salsa (or one of your choice)
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, approx
- salt and pepper
- onion (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages flour tortillas (8- or 10 pkg)
- butter or margarine
- sour cream, for topping
- Cook the beef in a large pot; drain well when done.
- *you can add the onions if you like, I don't always use them.
- stir in can of re-fried beans and approx 3/4 to half of the salsa (leave some for topping)
- add some cheddar cheese, I usually add approx 1 cup (leave some for topping)
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- let this mixture warm on the stove a few minutes just to melt the cheese.
- Turn off.
- Warm the shells a few at a time in the microwave on a plate with a slightly damp paper towel on top.
- Place 2 ice cream scoop sizes of meat mixture in the middle of the shell, roll up and place seam side down in a lightly buttered 9x13 pan (you will need more than one pan)
- Once you have rolled them all and placed in pans, brush lightly with butter or margarine.
- spread remaining salsa on top (I like to use lots and have some left over if anyone wants to add more).
- sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in a warm oven 200-250F approx 10-15 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with extra salsa and sour cream.
- This is a recipe that can be made for a small supper feeding 4-6 or can be made for 10 or more depending on how many shells you buy and the size of shells I buy large ones.
- This is very filling so I don't add anything to the meal.
- It is easy and inexpensive to make and not one person I have ever made it for did not LOVE it.
WOW! What a lifesaver you are!! I needed something quick, easy, inexpensive and teenagers would like as well as husband and self. This fits the bill 100%. It made a lot, thank goodness because they ate it all. How do you feed a hungry ball team? This is the recipe.
THANK YOU!! We love this recipe. I use Morningstar Farms crumbles in place of the beef and nobody can even tell! Those Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas are perfect for the oven and add a ton of fiber. I use Pam instead of butter. Tillamook makes really good fat free sour cream so I serve that on the side. What a simple and totally flexible recipe! Thanks Shirl!!
LOVE THIS! I made 2 batches today, one as the recipe indicated and one with shredded chicken - Mmmmmm! You have to try the chicken - great for all of you on a diet!