Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a cool and refreshing salad that my mom used to make a lot, and my family has enjoyed for years. I know you will too! It's great at cookouts, picnics, family gatherings, wedding and baby showers, or just at home for the family...From my family to yours, ENJOY!
- 10 large potatoes
- 2 cups mayonnaise (Do NOT use fat free or low fat)
- 1 (6 ounce) can shrimp, drained well and flaked
- 2 celery ribs, minced fine
- 1⁄2 green pepper, minced fine
- 1 medium carrot, minced fine
- 20 green olives, minced fine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lettuce leaf
- Rinse off potatoes to clean, and boil in salted water, until fork inserted goes in easily.
- Do not over-cook potatoes, or potato salad will be mushy.
- When potatoes are done drain right away, peel and let cool.
- Put in refrigerator to chill.
- When chilled completely, cut them up into med.
- sized cubes and put in a lg bowl.
- Put back into fridge to keep chilled.
- Meanwhile, cut up celery, green pepper, carrots and olives into finely minced pieces.
- Add to potato mixture.
- Open can of shrimp and drain well.
- Rinse off shrimp in the can, and squeeze dry with can cover before removing from can.
- Flake shrimp well between fingers and add to potato and veggie mixture.
- Mix mayonnaise into salad and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- When ready to serve, place potato salad on a few leaves of lettuce.
- Serve with cucumber wedges.
- Try adding 1/2 of a lg sweet onion, minced finely.
- Try adding 6 hard boiled eggs, mashed finely.
- Serve in a lg cucumber, sliced lengthwise and seeds removed.
- Serve in a hollowed out fresh tomato.
- Serve in a hollowed out green bell pepper.
This potato salad is excellent! Everyone asked me where I got the recipe and I told them on Recipezaar of course! The shrimp and olives really add depth and loads of flavor. A new favorite for all of us!
Make sure you use regular mayonnaise in this, so it holds the salad together. It really does make a big difference! I have made this several times, and have found we love it using the regular mayonnaise. I have tried it leaving the shrimp whole and having it flaked, and flaking it between my fingers and doing it that way distributes the shrimp flavor so much better throughout the salad. This kicks regular potato salad up a notch, as is so awesome to have for a change. It is delicious and now a favorite. This is my go to salad now when I want something refreshing and delicious! It's even great with sandwiches! If you have picky eaters who don't like olives, put them in your blender and pulverize them. They won't even notice them, and it gives it so much flavor along with the shrimp.
We are having some hot weather so I wanted to make up some potato salad. This one sounded so good I had to try it. It was loaded with flavor from the flaked canned shrimp and olives... Don't get me wrong, I love classic potato salad, but these ingredients add another layer of flavor. I let mine sit in the fridge for about 5 hours and it was delicious!