Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
My mom showed me how to make the perfect roast beef, and I mean PERFECT! I love my roast beef rare to med-rare, and this is how I do it. IMPORTANT: Take your roast out of the fridge, and let it set to get it to room temperature before baking! If you like really rare bake for 15 mins. at 500. If you like your roast beef cooked med-rare, put in for 18 mins. at 500. If you like it well done, then just burn the darn thing LOL. What's nice about this roast is, if someone likes it done a little more, please keep in mind that the end pieces will be done a little more. ***(The roast in the series of photos that I took was a 2.75 lb. bottom of the round roast. I baked it at 500 for 15 mins., then turned the oven off and left it in the oven for 1 hour for a rare roast.) The cooking time is 5 minutes per pound but I couldn't reflect that in the cooking time in the TIME section for the recipe, at the bottom so I just put in 15-30 mins, depending on size of the roast you use (3-6 lb)
Top Review by Dottie Doodles
Not that you need my 2 cents worth, but here goes! This really is the perfect way to make a roast! My 5 lb. rump roast was picture perfect and the taste from the onions and garlic was exactly what I was looking for. I did however use cloves of garlic and make slits in my meat and insert the garlic cloves. What flavor! This will be my go to recipe from now on when making any kind of roast! Simple recipe with amazing results!
- roast beef, tenderloin, tip, eye round, bottom round, rump, any you like (you can use any size roast, just adjust the baking time in the oven 5 mins. per lb.)
- 1 onion, cut into thin rings
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Wait for a few minutes before you put your roast in, so it gets as hot as possible.
- Put the roast in a shallow pan. (I use a cookie sheet).
- Cut onion into thin rings, and put all over the top and sides of the roast using toothpicks if necessary. I sit a few slices on the bottom of my roast too.
- Sprinkle roast generously with garlic powder, or to your liking. DO NOT SALT roast, or you will dry it out.
- Put roast in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then shut off oven, and let sit in the oven for 1 hour. DO NOT under any circumstances open the oven door! VERY IMPORTANT!
- After you turn off the oven and your roast has baked for l hour, take it out of the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes, to allow juices to distribute in the roast.
- I use my electric knife to cut my roast, and place on a serving dish.
- Don't forget to make the gravy!