Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
These were always a treat for us growing up... My mom loved her seafood, and this one was such a TREAT!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unflavored breadcrumbs, to coat scallops
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb sea scallops (If large, cut in half or quarters)
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Wash scallops in cold water, and drain on paper towel.
- Beat eggs.
- Add salt to crumbs.
- Roll scallops in crumbs, then dip in egg. Roll in crumbs again.
- Deep fry 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Scallops are done when they are white in the middle.
- Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Serve with lemon and ketchup, tarter sauce, or cocktail sauce.
Gracious sakes alive these were awesome! I love scallops and have been waiting to have some nice fresh ones. This recipe was perfect and exactly what I was looking for. Simple to make and just plain great! Before eating I topped mine with lemon juice and dipped in tarter sauce and ketchup. Yummy! Had with homemade french fries and coleslaw and we were in total bliss throughout the meal! Thanks for posting Linda!
Very good, though I skipped the breadcrumbs and used cracker meal which seems less textured to me. These can also be broiled with great success, eliminating the deep frying for those who try to avoid oil cooking. Thanks.
I like to make my own fried scallops, since they are so expensive in the restaurants. I made this recipe for Fried Scallops and also Linda's recipe for Linda's New England Fried Clams, and they were both outstanding. They came out crispy, flavorful, and downright addicting! Both these recipes are restaurant quality, yet cheap enough to have for a treat once in awhile at home. Thank you so much for sharing these with us Linda. My husband is one very happy man now that I can make him these recipes!