1/3 Photos of Shirley's Date Nut Pinwheels - Christmas
1 hr 10 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
My mom used to make these every Christmas for us when I was growing up, and they bring back special memories for me, especially around the holidays. We have been eating these for 50 years! These are my all time FAVORITE cookies :) They make a lot of cookies, and the amount really depends on how thick you actually roll the dough, and how thin or thick you cut the cookies. The cooking time is for EACH batch of cookies, and the prep time does not include time to chill dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Date Filling:.
- 2Combine dates, sugar and water in a pan and cook until thick (about 10 mins.).
- 3Add nuts to mixture, mix, and let cool. Set aside.
- 4Cookie Dough:.
- 5Cream shortening and add brown sugar gradually.
- 6Add eggs, and beat well. Add to the other ingredients, and mix.
- 7Divide into 2 parts, and make 2 round balls.
- 8Chill for 1 hr., or until ready to bake.
- 9Preheat oven to 375.
- 10Make 4 balls from the 2 lg. balls of dough.
- 11Roll out dough to 1/4" thick, and spread date mixture all over the top to the edge of the dough.
- 12Roll into logs.
- 13Cut into slices 1/4" thick, and place on greased cookie sheet.
- 14Bake in 375 oven for 10-12 minutes.
- 15Cool on cookie racks and store in a plastic container with lid, or a cookie tin.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shirley's Date Nut Pinwheels - Christmas
Serving Size: 1 (2205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.9 mg
- Sodium 38.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 1.2 g