My mom used to make these every Christmas for us when I was growing up, and they bring back special memories for me, especially around the holidays. We have been eating these for 50 years! These are my all time FAVORITE cookies :) They make a lot of cookies, and the amount really depends on how thick you actually roll the dough, and how thin or thick you cut the cookies. The cooking time is for EACH batch of cookies, and the prep time does not include time to chill dough.
- Date Filling:.
- Combine dates, sugar and water in a pan and cook until thick (about 10 mins.).
- Add nuts to mixture, mix, and let cool. Set aside.
- Cookie Dough:.
- Cream shortening and add brown sugar gradually.
- Add eggs, and beat well. Add to the other ingredients, and mix.
- Divide into 2 parts, and make 2 round balls.
- Chill for 1 hr., or until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make 4 balls from the 2 lg. balls of dough.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thick, and spread date mixture all over the top to the edge of the dough.
- Roll into logs.
- Cut into slices 1/4" thick, and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in 375 oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on cookie racks and store in a plastic container with lid, or a cookie tin.