Recipe by dusty AE
Got this from WA CWA book-I think. It was that long ago. It is a lovely moist cake that keeps for ages. It was a staple when we went camping in the Flinders. It also makes a large cake...freezes well. Granny Smiths work well but any cooking apple would do.
- 2 1⁄2 cups apples, cooked (unsweetened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces butter
- 16 ounces sultanas
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the butter and sugar into the still HOT apples.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a 14" x 10" greased pan. (I use a clear pyrex dish).
- Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours @ 180°C
- You can also serve this as a desert, sprinkle with icing sugar and a large dollop of cream.
- Unsweetened canned pie apples (heated) can also be used (easier to measure the amount).