3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe comes from Gil Marks's vegetarian Jewish cookbook Olive Trees and Honey. According to him, this type of rice is commonly found at Persian festive occasions. His recipe suggested that you could use either turmeric or saffron. Since saffron is so expensive, I opted for turmeric, but you can substitute a the same amount of saffron instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash rice in lukewarm water until water runs clear.
- 2Then soak in cold water to cover for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- 3In a large heavy saucepan, bring 8 cups water to boil over medium heat. Add salt.
- 4Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and then drain again.
- 5To make the filling, fill a small sauce pan with cold water.
- 6Add orange zest and bring to a boil. Drain and then repeat.
- 7In a medium sauce pan, combine the zest, water, sugar and turmeric and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 8Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to low and simmer until syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- 10Let cool and then stir in nuts.
- 11In a large heavy saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat.
- 12Stir in the turmeric, the 2 tablespoons of water.
- 13Spread 1/3 of rice in the sauce pan.
- 14Scatter half of the zest filling over top, cover with half the remaining rice, then remaining filling, then mound remaining rice over top.
- 15Using wooden spoon handle, poke 7 deep holes in the rice.
- 16Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 17Place a kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels over top of pan.
- 18Cover with lid and cook over medium heat until steam appears, about 10 minutes.
- 19Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender and bottom is crisp, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shirin Polo (Persian Sweet Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2338.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 67.6 g
- Protein 10.4 g