1/1 Photo of Shira's Sun-Dried Tomato Spread
This recipe comes from Shira Kestenbaum, a regular on the Israel-Food discussion list. Posted with her permission.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- 2Squeeze dry and then slice on a cutting board.
- 3Put them into a food processor with the garlic and basil and process for a minute or two.
- 4Add the vinegar.
- 5Start adding water, one tablespoon at a time, while the machine is running.
- 6The mass should start to turn into a deep red paste.
- 7Add one tablespoon of oil.
- 8Taste and then add the salt and pepper as needed (some brands of dried tomatoes are very salty).
- 9You may need more water to make it spreadable.
- 10Spoon into a glass jar, pressing down with a spoon and then pour olive oil over top to keep out the air.
- 11Always make sure that the top is covered with olive oil.
- 12Keep refrigerated.
- 13Shira says:.
- 14I buy the tomatoes in the shuk (outdoor market), it pays to shop around because they can be quite expensive.
- 15I have also made this with lemon juice instead of vinegar but I think it spoils faster.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shira's Sun-Dried Tomato Spread
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 27.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 149.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 1.1 g