Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This chicken recipe develops a very tasty sauce when microwaved with the cheese slices. I developed this recipe in 1976 along with a very dear friend of ours. Her name was Shirley and mine is William and the chicken tasted so good, therefore - Shir-Will Chicken Delight.
- 1 (3 lb) whole fryer chickens
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 14 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces processed swiss cheese, in slices
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large microwave proof dish with a cover, place chicken, add 1/4 cup water and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn chicken over and continue to microwave on HIGH (full power), covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let chicken cool slightly.
- Remove skin and discard.
- Strip all meat off bones.
- Chop chicken meat into small bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom cooking saucepan, add butter and onions and sauté until onions are translucent, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add green and red sliced peppers and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Mash tomatoes and add to saucepan along with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to saucepan and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- TO PREPARE FOR SERVING-----------.
- Fill microwave-proof soup bowls to within 1/2 inch of top with cooked chicken mixture.
- Place 2 pieces of processed cheese on top.
- Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 2 - 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- You can cook more than one bowl at a time, just adjust your time accordingly.
- Serve hot.
- You can also prepare the onions, green and red peppers in a food processor with a slicing blade attachment.
- Refrigerate any unused Chicken Delight.
- When ready to serve again, repeat above cooking procedure.