Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
When I lived in England, I found their casseroles were basically different from ours. We put the oddest things together and this casserole is a perfect example. Another would be corned beef hash with an egg on top. Well, when I made both of these for my then future inlaws, they thought they were delicious. Understand, it never changed the way they cooked, thank goodness, because I love the English food too.
- 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raw long grain rice
- 1 lb raw lean hamburger
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- (Make sure to season well each layer up to the kidney bean with salt and pepper).
- In a greased 2 quart casserole put all ingredients in order given (including the liquid in the kidney beans as well as a little water to rinse out the can) and "frost" the whole top with the tomato soup.
- Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours. Take out of oven, uncover and let sit for 10 minutes.
Same as MJane... this is the recipe I grew up eating in Montana... I wanted to make this for dinner tonite but lost my copy of the recipe and ouldn't get ahold of my mom - I'm so glad that you had this up here!!! Now I can make dinner!
This is exactly how my mother made this..so glad I found..and she was from Okla not England!