Recipe by bunkie68
I got this recipe on a cooking segment of the local news. The recipe was created by Dean Fearing, chef at The Mansion on Turtle Creek here in Dallas. It's easy and tasty, too!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces (about)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup shiner bock beer (if you can't get Shiner Bock, any other dark beer would probably work)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven or saucepan.
- Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the coconut milk and beer, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has thickened to the consistency of gravy, about 15-20 minutes more.
- If the liquid evaporates before then, add more beer.
- NOTE: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and a 12-ounce bottle of Shiner Bock when I made this, and it turned out great.
- NOTE: You can also use cream of coconut instead of coconut milk (I did this by accident the first time I made it, not realizing that there was a difference!)- it still comes out tasting good, but the resulting dish is a lot sweeter than if it's made with coconut milk.