6 hrs 30 mins
From our local state paper The West Australian by Vince Garreffa. Times are estimated (though have included 2 hour cooling time in cooking time, assume polenta crust would be made during this time). Vince stated that you could make this pie a day or two in advance and then reheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 1/4 kg shin beef (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 1 brown onion (medium diced small)
- 400 ml tomatoes (can chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (level)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (level)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (level)
- 4 garlic cloves (diced small)
- 1 carrot (medium, diced small)
- 750 ml stock (beef, lamb or chicken)
- 350 ml dry red wine
- black pepper
- flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1In a large non-stick pot add 100ml olive oil and heat over a medium heat.
- 2Dust meat with seasoned flour and fry in batches till well sealed (add more oil if needed).
- 3When all the meat is sealed put all pieces back into the pot, add onion and stir well.
- 4Add tomatoes then cook on medium heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- 5Then add cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, garlic and carrot and stir well and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on at medium heat.
- 6Remove the lid and add stock and wine.
- 7Cook at a gentle simmer (lid off) for 3 hours until beef is meltingly tender.
- 8If the liquid is too watery, strain in out and while resting the meat and vegetable boil till it becomes reduced and thick and then add the meat mix back in and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Rest until cool enough to put into the fridge for a couple of hours while you make the pastry.
- 10Mix the polenta and flour in a bowl with the salt and grate the frozen butter into it.
- 11Rub the butter and flour mix with your hands and fingertips until you get a breadcrumb like consistency.
- 12Make a well in the middle and add 5 tablespoons of icy cold water and mix thoroughly till you get a sticky pastry (add 1 tablespoon more of water is needed).
- 13Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for one hour.
- 14Put you cold meat mix into a onveproof casserole dish of appropriate size (about 20cm x 20cm x 6cm).
- 15Roll the pastry between two sheets of baking paper to a thickness of about 3-4mm and shape for your dish.
- 16Remove one sheet of baking paper and using the other sheet, invert the pastry on top of your casserole dish and remove the second sheet of paper and trim and press the pastry to cover the meat filling.
- 17Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, putting a little extra on the edges to seal the gap.
- 18With a knife poke a few holes in the pastry to let out the steam.
- 19Bake at 200C for 50-60 minutes till hot and golden.
- 20Serve with a salad on your favourite mash.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shin Beef With Polenta Crust
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 858.8
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 158.9 mg
- Sodium 633.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 49.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: