Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a family recipe that we always eat on Christmas Eve. My Grandpa used to eat it for breakfast on Christmas morning and the remains (which jellify if it is made properly) served at tea time.
- 1 lb shin beef
- 1 rabbit (jointed)
- 1 pig's foot
- 1 -2 calf foot (or 1 lb very poor quality shin beef with plenty of cartilidge)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- water, to cover
- 3 -5 drops liquid gravy browner
- 4 -6 tablespoons flour or 4 -6 tablespoons other thickener
- salt and pepper
- Put all the ingredients except the flour or thickening granules in a large casserole dish or crockpot, stirring to mix in the gravy browning.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour at 200 degrees Centigrade or on high in the crockpot and then for a further 2 hours at 150 degrees Centigrade or a further 12 hours in the crockpot on low.
- Remove the pigs foot and cow heel (low quality shin beef can be left in) and thicken either with instant granules or flour.
- If you use flour allow it to cook out for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.