Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful recipe adapted from Vegan Fusion. Yum!
- 1 lb fresh shiitake mushroom (or use half button mushrooms)
- 1 lb dry fettuccine
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 cup zucchini, julienned (or or and yellow crookneck)
- 1⁄2 lb pea shoots (or snap peas, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Remove the stems from the shiitake and thread them on bamboo skewers. Combine the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and chili paste and whisk to combine. Begin cooking by brushing the shiitake with the marinade and placing them on the grill. Grill to taste, approx 5-6 minutes.
- Begin cooking pasta, by adding to boiling water and simmering for approximately 8 minutes.
- Heat wok and fry the ginger in a little sesame oil for a minute. When fragrant, add the carrots and squash followed in 2-3 minutes by the pea shoots or snap peas. Turn the peas into the hot carrot squash mixture and remove from heat. Drain the pasta well and combine with the vegetable sauté, dressing with any extra marinade and soy sauce, if desired. Enjoy!
I can`t imagine not using chili paste in this it makes it! I used chili paste with garlic and it was yummy. If you don`t use it I do suggest adding garlic/ I couldn`t get whole shiitaki mushrooms only sliced which is really hard to skewer but I did it. Also I topped the dish with the skewerd mushrooms at first then mixed it into the noodles for the noodles did need the flavor from the mushrooms. I used snap peas. The noodle were dry so I did add some of the pasta water to it. So making a bit more sauce would be good as well. But all in al I enjoyed it a lot.