Recipe by Sharon123
This is a spinoff of a recipe I tried recently (Thank you Evelyn :)) The shitakes really give this recipe flavor!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I actually made this with white button mushrooms and used yellow onions, increased the garlic and omitted the rosemary, I used a pinch of dried thyme in place of fresh, I did use the fresh oregano, the combination of herbs really add so much flavor to this dish, with all the changes I made to this recipe, it still came out great! thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the oil and butter in a medium skillet and heat. Add mushrooms and cook over medium high for about 15 minutes, then add onions, garlic and tomatoes and cook about 5 more minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the herbs at this point, stir and remove from heat. You may add the brown rice and mix all together or serve the mushrooms over the heated up brown rice. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the 1 tbsp butter, if you wish.
- This is also good with a splash of soy sauce. Feel free to substitute other mushrooms!