Recipe by Sharon123
Made with healthy shiitake mushrooms, this gravy tastes just like turkey gravy only less greasy. Adapted from Delicious Living magazine.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Fantastic! This was really easy to make and it's great. I made it last night in preparation for thanksgiving dinner. The recipe doesn't say how much oil to mix with the flour, so I just kept adding more until it was the texture of wet sand (perfect analogy). I would guess it's around a 1/3 cup, but I didn't measure. I also used regular whole wheat flour instead of rice flour. Everything turned out great and I can't wait to serve it!
- olive oil (or other vegetable oil,1/4-1/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes the consistency of wet sand.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in stock and soy sauce.
- Bring to a slow boil and cook 20 to 30 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust seasoning with apple cider vinegar, sea salt and black pepper.