Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Made with healthy shiitake mushrooms, this gravy tastes just like turkey gravy only less greasy. Adapted from Delicious Living magazine.
- olive oil (or other vegetable oil,1/4-1/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes the consistency of wet sand.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in stock and soy sauce.
- Bring to a slow boil and cook 20 to 30 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust seasoning with apple cider vinegar, sea salt and black pepper.
Fantastic! This was really easy to make and it's great. I made it last night in preparation for thanksgiving dinner. The recipe doesn't say how much oil to mix with the flour, so I just kept adding more until it was the texture of wet sand (perfect analogy). I would guess it's around a 1/3 cup, but I didn't measure. I also used regular whole wheat flour instead of rice flour. Everything turned out great and I can't wait to serve it!
Wow---what a great taste---I served this Thanksgiving with the lentil loaf and vegan stuffing---my family requested this be repeated again and again. Thank you so much for sharing---I'll use this recipe often. The only change I made was using portabella mushrooms instead of shiitake.