Recipe by ellie_
Thought this sounded good and a bit out of the ordinary side dish for chicken or beef. Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very different salad, I used frozen small pearl onions for this and regular white button mushrooms, since DH loves rum, he will enjoy this for his lunch, delicious! thanks Ellie...Kitten
- 10 ounces white pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- cracked black pepper
- 6 -8 cups mixed greens, divided
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium heat bring water to boil and then add onions. Boil onions for 3 minutes, drain and rince well. Snip off ends of onions and slip off the peels and then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add butter. When the butter melts, lower heat to medium and add mushrooms cooking until the mushrooms brown around edges. Add onions to pan and cook until light brown. push vegetables to edge of pan and pour in vinegar and rum. Cook, scraping the bottom of the skillet, until mixture comes to a boil and reduces to a glaze. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.
- ***To serve on individual plates: cover salad plates with salad greens (3/4 - 1 cup per serving), spoon mushroom/onion mixture over greens and top with 1/2 ounce of crumbled cheese.
- ***To serve in a salad bowl: put greens in bowl, top with mushroom/onion mixture. Toss. Add cheese and toss again.