Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Look out for black bean paste in oriental store. If you cant get a hold of it you can use black bean sauce. Pak choy is sold in large supermarkets and has a wonderful tender green leaf and a crisp stalk. Use bok choy or baby spinach leaves as an alternative.
- 325 g medium egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 cm piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons black bean paste
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 300 g pak choi, leaves separated
- 250 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a wok until hot and smoking. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the black bean paste, chili sauce, soy sauce, sugar and 2 Tbsp of water. Bring to the boil, then toss in the noodles, making sure that they are well coated in the sauce.
- Now stir in the pak choy and the mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until the pak choy is just beginning to wilt and the mushrooms are glossy. Serve immediately.