Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious, HEALTHY, easy-to-prepare in an hour cooking time (with a pressure cooker). My DH loves this soup. Vegetarian if you use vegetable broth, but I've made it with both chicken and beef broth. Recipe is courtesy of the Sierra Club magazine. Original recipe didn't call for any salt (so I added it at the table)
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 large sweet onions (shredded or diced)
- 5 carrots (4 shredded, 1 sliced)
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice or 1⁄2 cup basmati rice or 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 7 cups chicken broth or 7 cups beef broth or 7 cups vegetable broth
- The day before you make the soup, cover the mushrooms with 2 1/2 Cups water and soak them overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, slice the mushrooms and trim off the stems (reserving any leftover water).
- Saute the onions, carrots, and celery in a few tablespoons of canola oil in the pressure cooker with the lid off.
- Once the onions have turned clear and the vegetables are getting soft, add the rest of the ingredients, including the remaining soaking water.
- Seal the lid and turn the heat on high. When the pot starts to whistle loudly, lower the heat until it produces a low, steady hissing.
- Cook for an hour, then turn off the heat and remove the pan from the burner. Let the soup sit for about 15 minutes, or until the pressure button drops. Stir and serve!
I look for healthy recipes that also are delicious. This soup is healthy but the taste is just dreadful. My DH told me if he were on a desert island and only had this soup to eat he would try to construct a raft to reach the mainland. If that failed he would just kill himself. Please, don't waste good ingredients...Don't make this soup!
very good recipe, but may be a bit too much volume for a pressure cooker. it filled mine about 3/4 full, more than is supposedly safe,esp with rice, but i didn't have any problem. it took less than an hour also-