Recipe by rsarahl
Vegetarian dashi. It is a nice broth in its own right but is also a base for countless soups. So simple, so good.
Top Review by PinkCherryBlossom
I found this made a very strong flavoured dashi - perfect for flavouring. I dont think I could handle this as a soup though. i have frozen mine in 35ml lumps ready to add to other dishes
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 slices kombu seaweed, 4 inches long
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- 1 green onion, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place kombu in pot of water and slowly bring to a simmer over medium high heat, but do not boil; about 10 minutes on the stove.
- Remove the kombu just before the pot boils and add the dried mushrooms.
- Boil for 1 minute, then turn off the heat and let the pot sit, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and store the dashi for use in another recipe, or prepare it as a simple soup by adding the soy sauce, salt to taste and sliced green onion.