Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Don't substitute other mushrooms for the shiitakes. They are unique in flavor and texture.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cider or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce (found in the asian aisle)
- Heat olive oil and margarine in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and briefly saute;take caution not to burn the garlic.
- Add shiitakes and toss to coat.
- Add cider, soy sauce, and garlic chili pepper sauce.
- Saute for three minutes more.
- Serve warm over crisp greens.
Delicious! I halved the recipe and saved the stems to make stock. Loved the dish! Thanks! Made for Best of 2009 game!
Really amazing flavors in this dish! I served it as a side to an Asian meal, but will try it as a salad next time. The sauce is great, but still lets the flavor of the shiitakes shine through.