Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here's another fall-tasting recipe with apples. This is actually fairly low in fat, and vegan as written. If desired, you can add 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese - stir it in just before serving.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, fresh "or: soaked,thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a large pan.
- In a seperate pan, saute the onion in the oil until translucent (~4minutes).
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the apple and stir briefly; then add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add 1 cup of stock.
- Stir the rice constantly, keeping at a simmer.
- As the liquid is absorbed, continue to add small amounts of stock.
- Continue this until all of the stock has been absorbed (usually 20-25 minutes) Remove from heat and stir in the thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.