Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking Light March 2010
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm over low heat.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 1/2 cup broth; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; sauté 1 minute. Set aside.
- Stir mushrooms, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, peas, 1/4 cup cheese, and pepper into risotto; cook 3 minutes. Spoon about 1 1/4 cups risotto into each of 4 bowls; sprinkle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese.