Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
The Shield's Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg opened in the 1740s and was a familiar gathering spot for burgesses, travelers, and townspeople. This recipe for herb dressing from a flier my mother received at Williamsburg is a favorite in our house! Cook time includes chilling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pepper, salt, mustard, egg yolk, and vinegars.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add the oil slowly and gradually until the dressing is emulsified and becomes creamy.
- Whisk in the curry powder, thyme, and oregano.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving, so that the herbs can release their flavor into the mixture.
- Note: please notice that there is raw egg yolk in this dressing- pregnant women are generally advised to avoid foods containing raw eggs.
I love the Shield's Tavern herb dressing and have been making it for years from a recipe I procured while dining at the tavern. The listed amount of vinegar is incorrect. It should read a total of 1/3 third of a cup of vinegar, half red wine and half cider vinegar .