Recipe by pamela t.
You know how some men won’t eat anything green—relying on meat and potatoes to fill them up? Don’t tell your man you’ve found a way to make him eat a huge plate of veggies-- topped with steak, of course! He will be amazed at the flavor of the steak and the chipotle dressing. A marriage of flavors made in heaven! Prep time is mostly marinating meat in the refrigerator. This recipe calls for 2 chipotles in adobo—if you don’t like heat, try using only one chile to start—taste it and decide if you want it hotter.
Top Review by EmmyDuckie
This knocked my socks off. I was skeptical at first that a basil and balsamic marinated steak was going to be good with a chipotle ranch dressing, but the combination totally works. The dressing is killer all by itself, and I just loved the avocado and cilantro in the salad. Very flavorful, and my hands down favorite for this round of Craze-E.
For steak marinade
- 4 rib eye steaks, 6 oz
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 4 red radishes
- 3 avocados
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
For salad dressing or steak topping
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 limes
- 3⁄4 cup ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 limes, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop basil leaves and garlic.
- In a large zip-lock bag or large plastic container, add all ingredients for marinade. Add steaks. You can use rib-eyes or eye of round steaks or any other steak you like to grill. A thinner steak cooks quicker and looks nicer on the salad.
- Place in refrigerator 4 hours, turning meat once.
- Remove from refrigerator to grill. Grill steaks over hot coals or on a gas grill. Depending on the thickness of the steaks, grilling time will vary. For ½”-3/4” steaks, grill 5 minutes each side for medium rare.
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest.
- For dressing:.
- Chop up 2 chipotle chiles; add to a small mixing bowl
- Chop basil and garlic.
- Add ranch dressing and tarragon.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 limes into the dressing. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and chill in refrigerator until use. This will keep up to one week.
- For salad:.
- Using 4 dinner plates, arrange a bed of romaine lettuce on each
- Top with ¼ C chopped cilantro on each plate.
- Slice avocadoes, tomatoes, red radishes and green onions.
- Arrange avocadoes, tomatoes and red radishes along outside edge of each plate. Scatter onions over each salad
- Slice each steak into ½” thick slices and arrange over salad.
- Drizzle dressing over each salad and steak. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon or lime for squeezing over the salad.
- Be amazed at the flavors!