Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
You know how some men won’t eat anything green—relying on meat and potatoes to fill them up? Don’t tell your man you’ve found a way to make him eat a huge plate of veggies-- topped with steak, of course! He will be amazed at the flavor of the steak and the chipotle dressing. A marriage of flavors made in heaven! Prep time is mostly marinating meat in the refrigerator. This recipe calls for 2 chipotles in adobo—if you don’t like heat, try using only one chile to start—taste it and decide if you want it hotter.
For steak marinade
- 4 rib eye steaks, 6 oz
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 4 red radishes
- 3 avocados
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
For salad dressing or steak topping
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 limes
- 3⁄4 cup ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 limes, garnish
- Chop basil leaves and garlic.
- In a large zip-lock bag or large plastic container, add all ingredients for marinade. Add steaks. You can use rib-eyes or eye of round steaks or any other steak you like to grill. A thinner steak cooks quicker and looks nicer on the salad.
- Place in refrigerator 4 hours, turning meat once.
- Remove from refrigerator to grill. Grill steaks over hot coals or on a gas grill. Depending on the thickness of the steaks, grilling time will vary. For ½”-3/4” steaks, grill 5 minutes each side for medium rare.
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest.
- For dressing:.
- Chop up 2 chipotle chiles; add to a small mixing bowl
- Chop basil and garlic.
- Add ranch dressing and tarragon.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 limes into the dressing. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and chill in refrigerator until use. This will keep up to one week.
- For salad:.
- Using 4 dinner plates, arrange a bed of romaine lettuce on each
- Top with ¼ C chopped cilantro on each plate.
- Slice avocadoes, tomatoes, red radishes and green onions.
- Arrange avocadoes, tomatoes and red radishes along outside edge of each plate. Scatter onions over each salad
- Slice each steak into ½” thick slices and arrange over salad.
- Drizzle dressing over each salad and steak. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon or lime for squeezing over the salad.
- Be amazed at the flavors!
This knocked my socks off. I was skeptical at first that a basil and balsamic marinated steak was going to be good with a chipotle ranch dressing, but the combination totally works. The dressing is killer all by itself, and I just loved the avocado and cilantro in the salad. Very flavorful, and my hands down favorite for this round of Craze-E.