Recipe by echo echo
Prunes stuffed with veal, raisins and walnuts, an Israeli dish. This is one I haven't tried yet, but want to. Posted for my N*A*M*E--TAG Cookbook. I'm posting the original amount of salt, but my taste is for considerably less (I'd also use no-salt-added tomato sauce).
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 lb ground veal
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, soaked 5 min in warm water and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 30 -32 pitted prunes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, saute onion in butter 5 minutes.
- Combine veal through raisins with 1 tsp salt and pepper, mixing with hands, and roll into 30-32 1-inch balls.
- Fill the cavity of each prune with a ball of stuffing and place in a baking dish.
- Combine tomato sauce through sugar with 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste; pour over prunes.
- Bake 45 min at 350°F.