Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Combine with moist ingredients.
- Shape dough into round balls.
- Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon.
- Roll balls in the mixture and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
My husband loves snickerdooles, so I try to make them every year. This is the first time I have ever used a combination of shortening and butter. Although these cookies are easy and taste great, they didn't seem to be as tender or to puff up as much as my old recipe.
Sherry, thanks for posting. These are very similar to ones I have made since the early '70's. Easy and delicious!
My husband loves snickerdoodles...so I have spent many hours locating the best recipe. This one wins hands down. The only problem is I can't keep them in the house for more than a day. Thanks for the recipe...it is definitely a keeper. I use all butter instead of the shortening and they are still great.