Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a good little cookie. I don't remember where I got the recipe years ago, but I know that it is requested every Christmas season by a bunch of people.
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, well drained and finely chopped
- powdered sugar, for rolling baked cookies
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter at high speed until it is light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar and blend well.
- Add the almond extract and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, almonds and salt, whisking together until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well.
- Once your cherries are well drained, dry them with paper towels to make sure there is little or no moisture.
- Gently fold the chopped cherries into the mix.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place them 1 in apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet or one that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 degress for 15-18 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie is lightly browned.
- Cool for 3-4 minutes on a cookie sheet.
- Roll each cookie in powdered sugar until well coated, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack until completely cooled.