Top Review by Sappling
I have made this recipe at least a dozen times. I wish I were exaggerating, but it never fails me so I just keep coming back to it. Simple yet powerful. The one thing I don't like about this recipe is that it doesn't say whether you add the baking soda before or after splitting the dry mixture. I've done it both ways and it turns out fine regardless; it was just a bit confusing the first time I baked this.
- 3 small apples
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Peel apples and chop into chunks.
- Mix flour, butter, and brown sugar.
- Stir in nuts.
- Separate mixture into two parts.
- Spread half in bottom of 9 inch round pan.
- In another bowl beat sour cream, vanilla, and egg just until smooth.
- Add to other half of first mixture.
- Gently stir in apples no more than 2 cups.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry.