Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Once upon a time I got really creative and decided that as much as I loved Lemon Meringue Pie, there should be some way to make another "citrus" type pie and I really wanted orange...so after numerous attempts, you get the benefit of my experiment.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, which you have baked until lightly brown
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange juice (not concentrate)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- In saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually add orange juice, while heating over medium heat.
- Stir until thickened. Boil one minute.
- Take 1 cup of hot mixture and mix with egg yolks.
- Return the egg yolk and sugar mixture to saucepan.
- Stir well and boil one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Blend in butter and pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer until frothy. Add sugar, one Tbsp at a time until meringue is thick and has a glossy appearance.
- Spoon meringue on top of pie and bake for 10 minutes at 375°.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and serve or if you would like it cold, refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
I cannot find my cookbook with the recipe for orange meringue pie and came across this one. Family is devouring this pie! I made this recipe 1 1/2 size to fill a deeper 9 1/2" crust, filled it perfectly. I like a bit tarter pie so added about 1 tbsp lemon juice and zest from one orange. will probably reduce the sugar a little next time, but even if I forget, it is well loved. Thanks for the recipe.
I have only one complaint about this pie, I should have made two! it was gone in a flash, I used fresh orange juice and also add in 2 teaspoons orange extract to the filling, I was lucky to get only a very small piece, my DS and DH gobbled it up in no time flat, so I am going to make another very soon, thanks for a great recipe hon!....Kitten:)
Delicious! Added this as a last minute dessert for Easter dinner and was so glad I did. I can really only rate the filling because I used a graham crust and Meringue from Powdered Egg White. Had a bunch of organic oranges to use, and the juice was delicious and pretty sweet, but gave the pie such a lovely orange flavor and color. Wasn't paying attention to the recipe and added the egg yolks to the cold sugar/OJ mixture, then cooked as directed, and it came out fine. I did refrigerate before serving, but it would be delicious either way. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!