Recipe by Sherrybeth
Once upon a time I got really creative and decided that as much as I loved Lemon Meringue Pie, there should be some way to make another "citrus" type pie and I really wanted orange...so after numerous attempts, you get the benefit of my experiment.
Top Review by Phunny Pharmer
I cannot find my cookbook with the recipe for orange meringue pie and came across this one. Family is devouring this pie! I made this recipe 1 1/2 size to fill a deeper 9 1/2" crust, filled it perfectly. I like a bit tarter pie so added about 1 tbsp lemon juice and zest from one orange. will probably reduce the sugar a little next time, but even if I forget, it is well loved. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, which you have baked until lightly brown
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange juice (not concentrate)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually add orange juice, while heating over medium heat.
- Stir until thickened. Boil one minute.
- Take 1 cup of hot mixture and mix with egg yolks.
- Return the egg yolk and sugar mixture to saucepan.
- Stir well and boil one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Blend in butter and pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer until frothy. Add sugar, one Tbsp at a time until meringue is thick and has a glossy appearance.
- Spoon meringue on top of pie and bake for 10 minutes at 375°.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and serve or if you would like it cold, refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.