Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the type of trifle I remember as a child growing up in England.
- 1 jam roll
- 1 package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 can fruit cocktail, drained
- bird's custard mix
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- colored sprinkles
- Slice jam roll and place in trifle bowl.
- Make jello following directions on package and replace 1/2 cup of cold water with the 1/2 cup of sherry.
- Pour fruit cocktail over jam roll, then cover with jello.
- Put in fridge to set.
- Make up custard and pour on top of jello when it is set.
- Then top with whipped cream and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles, keep in fridge till ready to serve.
It got the "Oliver Twist" treatment and disappeared with lightning speed in my house. Thanks a million - wonderful recipe.
Would have liked Almonds on top with sprinkles.Just like my Mother made in U.K. Thanks for reminding me.
This was delicious! My husband requested I make a trifle (like his mother used to make) for his birthday. I had no idea where to start! Recipezaar and kristinej came to the rescue! Thankyou. :-) The only things I did differently were to sprinkle a little sherry over the jam roll and I scattered slivered almonds on top rather than the sprinkles as suggested by pat. I made it the day before serving and it turned out great.