- 2 salted herrings, filleted and skinned
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 whole allspice, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak herring in cold water for 24 hours,in the refrigerator changing water at least 3 times.
- Cut herring diagonally into 1 -inch pieces.
- Arrange herring and onion slices in a jar.
- Combine the sherry, vinegar, water, sugar, and allspice; pour over herring.
- Cover jar tightly, and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Serve with boiled potatoes or on a smorgasbord.