Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These have the flavors of orange, pecan and sherry.They come out more like buttons than balls. These won't last in the cookie jar very long! From Cookies at the Academy: California Cooking Academy. Time includes refrigeration.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- In a bowl stir together flour and 1/2 cup of the pecans to combine thoroughly; set aside. Spread remaining 1 cup pecans in a shallow pan; set aside.
- In mixer bowl combine butter and sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in orange rind and vanilla.
- To butter mixture add flour mixture alternately with sherry, mixing to blend after each addition. Gather dough into a ball and enclose in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until dough is firm enough to shape (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in pecans to coat evenly. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown and feel firm when touched lightly (15 to 20 minutes). Transfer to wire racks to cool.
These were good. I love pecans. amd there were plenty! I used w.w. pastry flour and Sucanat, so they didn't turn out as pretty as the picture (darker), but they tasted great. Left out the orange rind, didn't have one! I used my Pampered Chef melon baller/cookie scoop and it made 27 cookies. Since I am not a "get your hand dirty" kind of gal, I think I'll put all the pecans in the dough next time and maybe sprinkle with powdered sugar after... Had a nice flavor (not too much sherry) and crunchy texture, but the cookie itself was very light.