Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Combine mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery.
- sherry, thyme salt and pepper in a 3 quart saucepan.
- Place on medium heat and cook (do not cover) stir frequently until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add 2 1/2 cups milk and all of the evaporated milk.
- Cook stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- In jar with lid combine the remaining 1/2 cup milk with the flour shake until smooth.
- Stir into soup continue cooking and stirring until soup thickens and is bubbling.
- Divide into serving bowls top with parmesan cheese.
Delicious! And sort of unorthodox methods. Don't be tempted to add more than the 3 tablespoons of sherry to the mushrooms and veggies - the mushrooms will make their own juices eventually. And, the shaking together of the remaining milk and flour makes a wonderful smooth soup with absolutely no lumps. Beautiful soup, onlyme!
I was looking forward to this recipe because I love mushrooms and am always looking for tasty low fat/low cal recipes. I thought I hit the jackpot with this recipe. It looked good and the reviews were all positive. Following the recipe as written, I tasted it when completed and it was awful. It was bland, tasteless. The only real taste was the flour and the chowder was much too thick. I gave it one star because I was able to recover by adding about 3 more cups of sliced mushrooms that I happened to have. I also added about 1/4 cup more sherry, a couple of chicken bullion cubes, some onion powder and a cup of boiling water. It became edible, but I won't make this again.
Excellent soup. The only thing I changed was not using the thyme and I added a little vegetable boullion. Very flavourful soup and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.