Recipe by Julesong
I was grilling steak and corn on the cob the other night, and I wanted spicy onions to go with them... so this is what I came up with. Yum! :)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds (Walla Walla, Vidalia, Mayan, etc)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon regular chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, additional
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the sage, chili powders, cumin, salt, and pepper and divide into 4 portions.
- Place the bottom round of onion on a sheet of aluminum foil, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sherry, then 1 Tbsp olive oil; sprinkle with 1 portion of the spice mixture, then place another round on top.
- Repeat until layers are complete; drizzle whole onion with oil and pour over remaining sherry.
- Pull long sides of foil up and over; bring edges together and fold over 3 times; fold each short end over 3 times to form tightly sealed package.
- Let marinate 1 hour at room temperature.
- Prepare grill; grill packet 5 inches above medium heat, covered with lid, for 30 minutes or until tender, turning 1 or 2 times.
- Open packet, serve, and enjoy!
- OR, the simple and easy method: get the onion ready and have the containers of oil, sherry, sage, chili powders, cumin, salt, and pepper sitting nearby; then just sprinkle some on of each ingredient on the individual layers of onion rounds, drizzle with more oil and sherry when complete, let marinate, and grill (that's what I actually did).