Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Saw this on Foodnetwork.com and just had to share. You have to let the cookies "ripen"! Makes 90 cookies.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 1⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- pecan halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Mix the flour into the butter mixture, alternating with the sherry, making sure to finish with the flour.
- Stir in the ground pecans.
- Drop by the teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet, then roll each portion between your palms to make smooth, even balls.
- Press each one onto the cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg white.
- Using a fork, knife or another tool, press a design into the top of each cookie, or press a pecan half, right side up, into each ball or dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool a few minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cool and let cookies sit overnight to ripen.
- Serve, or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.