Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Cooking Healthy" which was one of those books that hook you in the checkout line at the grocery store.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (15 ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 6 ounces Chinese egg noodles or 6 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes. Turn chicken; cook 5 minutes. Remove and reserve.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbl drippings. Cook chopped onion and garlic in drippings 6 minutes or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth and sherry; bring to a boil. Blend soy sauce into cornstarch in cup until smooth. Stir into broth mixture. Return chicken to skillet; add mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken and sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with green onions. Garnish with pepper strips and green onions, if desired.