Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I was trying to capture the flavor of the Fresh Choice Fall Harvest Butternut Squash Soup. I started from scratch, so I'm claiming this recipe as my own.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs butternut squash, cubed
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooking sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- garlic salt, to taste
- In one pan, stir fry the celery in a small portion of olive oil. When softened, add a quarter cup of sherry and cover immediately. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and continue to simmer.
- In a separate large saucepan, stir fry the squash on medium heat until bright orange.
- Pour in remaining sherry and cover immediately. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in remaining chicken broth and add in bouillon. Add enough water so that the squash is completely covered, about 2 cups. Let cook until completely tender (you can test with a fork; if it goes completely through without resistance, it's done).
- Combine butternut mixture and celery mixture into a large blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour back into the large saucepan. Add butter, half and half, onion powder and garlic salt. When the butter is done melting in, you're done.
- Garnish with cheddar and sour cream, if desired.
Hi There...I just wanted you to know that I just made your Butternut Soup mostly using your recipe...And It turned out Wonderful.<br/>I idid a few things differently...<br/>1. I roasted the squash<br/>2. I added one apple peeled and diced and added to the celery process when there was only a few minutes left.<br/>3. I used Marsala Sweet wine as I didn't have any Sherry. I'll use the Sherry next time<br/>All in all, it has a wonderful texture and taste. I will use your recipe again.<br/>Thank You.