1/1 Photo of Sherri's Chicken King Ranch Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
This is a family favorite-from my dear friend Sandra. Below is the exact recipe given to me but over the years I have tried many additions and substitutions like: adding mushrooms, poblano or jalapeno peppers, roasted red peppers, kernel corn, diced carrots, sliced zucchini or yellow squash, spinach; or substituting monterrey jack or cheddar cheese, flour tortillas instead of corn, you get the idea-just make it your own! (Plus, don't worry so much about the layers-I've tossed everything together and poured into pan, topped w/ cheese and it was still great.) You can make this a day ahead and it also freezes well-just thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake as directed. If it is too thick (because the tortillas soak-up moisture), just thin w/ some chicken stock. (I've seen other recipes where you soak the tortillas in broth but I've never tried it.) Cooking time does not include time to cook the chicken. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, do not drain (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 roasting chicken, cooked, boned, and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, grated, and divided
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 1-inch size pieces (or use flour tortillas)
- 1Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9 x 13" baking dish w/ Pam.
- 2Saute the onion and bell pepper in butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes, until tender.
- 3Add the soups, tomatoes, garlic, and half the cheese and blend well. Stir in the chicken and remove from heat.
- 4Place one layer of tortilla pieces in bottom of dish. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and repeat layers twice, ending w/ the tortillas.
- 5Sprinkle rest of cheese on top and cook covered 30 minutes; then uncover and cook additional 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sherri's Chicken King Ranch Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.3
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 1583.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 19.5 g