- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of walnuts, rind, and anise extract.
- Add flour and sherry alternately, beginning and ending with flour.
- Spread the remaining walnuts on a plate.
- Drop 1-inch balls of dough into the nuts, roll, and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- For holiday cookies, press a sliver of candied cherry into the center of each cookie before baking.