Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Nice side to the holiday ham or turkey, or with pork roast or chops.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 granny smith apples
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 78.07 ml medium-dry sherry
- In a kettle, combine the sweet potatoes with enough water to cover by 1 inch and boil for 35 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and let them cool until they can be handled. The sweet potatoes may be prepared in advance and kept chilled overnight.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them lengthwise into sixths, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Peel, core and cut the apples lengthwise into sixths and crosswise into 11/2-inch pieces.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the apples in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, the brown sugar, the cinnamon and the sherry. Bring to a boil, and simmer 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring gently, for 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Transfer to a heated serving dish.
I scaled this back for 3 serves and I did wrap my sweet potatoe in alfoil and roasted in the oven and peeled and cut into big bite size pieces, I used 1 large granny smith, peeled, cored and quartered, cut in half and each slice cut into three. For diabetics who can tolerate artificial sweeteners I would recommend splenda, hence I cut back on the apple and used brown sugar. But WOW we (DM, DS and myself) really enjoyed this with our lamb chops (Lemon and Oregano Lamb Chops) and steamed vegetables. Thank you Mikekey for a great recipe, made for Please Review My Recipe.
This is so good! I peeled, cut into the chunks and boiled for 14 minutes. I used margarine, but otherwise the rest was the same. It turned out more like mashed potatoes, but I think it tastes better that way anyways! Another great recipe to use up my sherry that I bought for a previous tag game! :)