Recipe by ReeLani
Another mushroom recipe I'm looking forward to trying. I'm not sure where I got it originally.
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven sauté mushrooms and onion in butter.
- Remove mushrooms and onion from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Stir flour into remaining butter in pan, cooking and stirring over medium heat until flour turns brown.
- Gradually add broth and water, and then add remaining ingredients except mushrooms and onion.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and onion and simmer 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- If soup becomes too thick, add some additional water.