Recipe by HappyBunny
This is from The Onion Cookbook by Brian Glover. It is a perfect starter because it looks beautiful and has a delicate taste.
Top Review by Daydream
This is a superb soup - elegant, delicious, quick to make and perfect for entertaining. So little effort for such great results. I conveniently used a stick-blender in the pot, rather than transferring the soup to a blender. This recipe now has a permanent place on my dinner party list.
- 40 g butter (3 tbsp)
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch saffron strand
- 50 g blanched almonds, toasted and finely ground (2oz)
- 750 ml good chicken vegetable stock (3 cups)
- 45 ml dry sherry (3tbsp)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 30 ml sliced almonds, toasted and chopped (2tbsp)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the better in a heavy saucepan over a low heat to prevent it from burning. Add the onions and garlic, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the saffron and cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground almonds and cook, stirring continuously, for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock, sherry and 1 tsp salt and plenty of pepper. Bring it to the boil and then simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then return it to the rinsed pan. Reheat slowly without allowing the soup to boil, stirring occasionally. Check the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into heated bowls, garnish with the toasted almonds and a little parsley and serve immediately.